WRITESHOP FOR BOOK CHAPTER/ ACADEMIC PAPER PUBLICATION
08:37 - 20/03/2018
The Capacity Building and Professional Development of Water Governance and Regional Development Practitioners in the Mekong, Salween and Red river basins (MK31, 32 and 33) project is working to strengthen the capacity for undertaking research and policy engagement of scholars and practitioners of water, land and energy use, management and governance in the Red, Mekong and Salween river basins
23rd – 25th March 2017
Cat Cat View Hotel, Sapa, Vietnam
The Capacity Building and Professional Development of Water Governance and Regional Development Practitioners in the Mekong, Salween and Red river basins (MK31, 32 and 33) project is working to strengthen the capacity for undertaking research and policy engagement of scholars and practitioners of water, land and energy use, management and governance in the Red, Mekong and Salween river basins. A particular cross-cutting focus of the project is research on gender and other forms of social marginalization. It also intends to build a learning community amongst these scholars and practitioners.
During phase 1 of the project during 2015 and 2016, 38 fellows have undertaken research, joined three workshops about research design, fieldwork and writing, and produced: two blogs; a research report; a conference paper; and a policy brief. They also joined two Greater Mekong Forums on Food Water and Energy in 2015 in Phnom Penh and 2016 in Bangkok. Furthermore, the fellows presented their research at the International Conference on the Mekong, Salween and Red Rivers: Sharing Knowledge and Perspectives Across Borders at the Faculty of Political Science, Chulalongkorn University in November 2016.
We are now moving to Phase 2 of the fellowship program, in which 8 fellows from each river basin have been selected to contribute either a book chapter or journal paper for publication.
The WriteShop, to be held in on 23-25 March 2017 in Sapa, Vietnam, is intended to support fellows in the production of these materials. The books/ journal papers will be published by the end of 2017.
- Explain the goals and plans for Phase 2 of the fellowship program regarding publication in two books/ journal articles
- Work with the selected Phase 2 fellows to further refine their research outputs from Phase 1 suitable to be published in an international publication (book chapter / journal paper)
- Advise fellows on the remaining period of the fellowship, including the opportunities for presenting the work in conferences
The workshop will be a combination of plenary lectures, individual work, partnered work, and mentored group work.
- Plenary session will provide key inputs to the writing process
- Individual exercises will allow you to focus quietly on your own writing (and that of your allocated partner)
- Partnered work: You will be allocated a partner, who you will provide feedback to over the course of the WriteShop. You will receive an individual email about this, including your partner’s conference paper.
- Mentored group work: You will work in small groups with mentors
The groups are as follows:
- Salween Fellows (MK31) and Khun Soimart (MK32) will be with Dr Carl Middleton
- Mekong Fellows (MK32) will be with Dr. Kanokwan Manorom
- Red Fellows (MK33) will be allocated between: Prof Tu; Prof Quang; and Dr. Nam